Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Suzy's Articles part 2

Dillion, Naomi. (Sept 2007). Educating Generation Z. American School Board Journal, Vol 194, p34-36.

This article was a really interesting one to read, I'd suggest to anyone to read it! It started off with a scenario from the year 2020. The classroom was dramatically different than it is now! Each student had a heart rate monitor on their wrists (and it sounded like it did more than just kept track of the student's heart rate) and a lap top. The teacher to student ratio had dramatically increased, 1:120, but that was because of a new program they had, Aileen Series 3000, which did all of the 'paper work' that a teacher would typically do. It also was able to tell you the best way for each student to learn, thus, you knew which students would excel at which assignments and could change them a little to benefit each student.

The article goes on to talk about how the generations are changing. My generation, for example, generation y, has known computers and the Internet pretty much their whole lives. I was about 8 when my family got our first computer, and ever since I truly started NEEDING the Internet, in about middle school, I can't remember life without the Internet either!

Lastly the article talks about, "The Future Looks Like This". I really enjoyed reading this article, and actually read most of it twice, to make sure that I didn't miss any good information! I can email you a copy of the article if you guys are interested in reading it, just let me know. It's a pretty short article.

No comments: